To keep prices down and to give everyone flexibility we do not include lunch in the Study Day price. Fortunately the National Trust cafe offers some excellent meals and snacks. You can also bring a packed lunch and eat it in the lecture room or as a picnic in the grounds of the estate. There are a few pubs nearby but it may be difficult to guarantee that you will be served in time to return for the start of the afternoon sessions.
If you want to eat in the cafe the manager has kindly offered to take orders during the morning coffee breaks so as to save time in the busy lunch period spent ordering and paying for food.
Use this pre-order system if:
- You want to eat at the start of the lunch break (ie not visit exhibition, chatter or wander the site first)
- You want hot food, soups, salads or sandwiches (but NOT coffee/tea/cakes/cold deserts – queue as normal for these)
- You are happy to pre-order and pay at morning coffee times
Otherwise just queue as normal as and when you want.
The process is
- Order your meal and pay for it at the counter during morning coffee times
- You will be given a number (as you would normally) – take it with you to the lecture room
- Once the signal is made to the kitchen that we are finishing the pre-lunch session, the kitchen will begin to prepare your meal ready for you
- At the start of the lunch break go to the restaurant, collect your cutlery etc., find a seat/table, and put your number on the table.
- In the lunch break go as soon as possible to the cafe with ‘your number’. Please do not spend time chatting or wandering off (toilet visits are obviously OK) as your lunch may have to be thrown away and a new meal prepared leading to wasted resources and time.
- Your meal should then appear from the kitchen after a short wait. You could chose to order teas/coffees etc during this wait if you wish
If you need drinks/cakes etc. you will still have to queue for these, but hopefully the pre-ordering will mean that the queue will move faster.